You know how much I love my Valentine puns, so I thought I would come up with a couple of cute and easy Valentine ideas, pulling from my Whisker Graphics stash.
First up is a 3-D gumball machine that you can print and assemble.
* My Valentine Printable, printed on cardstock, using a color printer
* 2 Glassine Bags
* 1 yard or so Divine Twine
* a sewing needle with a large enough eye to accommodate your strand of twine
* a handful of small, round candies, like M&Ms or Skittles.
* Optional: 1 Bigger Bitty Bag
1. Download the Cards & Template (1 page PDF) and print onto a piece of cardstock or heavy paper, using a color printer.
2. Cut out all of the shapes. You can put aside the latte tag for later.
3. Use the circle template to trace a circle onto your glassine bags. Cut out 2 circles. *You need to use 2 bags so that you get 2 good circles without seams down them (the back-side of the glassine bags have seams).
4. Align the two glassine circles on top of each other and then align them on top of the circular part of the gumball machine printout. Using a sewing needle threaded with Divine Twine, sew all three layers together (use a running stitch), starting at the bottom center, leaving a 1 1/2 – 2″ tail. When you still have about an inch left to sew, stuff some candy between the two glassine layers. Real gumballs wouldn’t fit so I used red Skittles. M&Ms or another small candy would also work.
5. After filling your gumball machine with candy, sew up the remaining inch. You’ll have to stretch your glassine circles into place a bit and you may have to remove a bit of candy to do this.
6. Before you trim off the end of your twine, string the little “I Chews You” circular tag on by poking a hole with the sewing needle. Now you can trim your twine and tie the two tails into a bow.
The striped Bigger Bitty Bag makes a cute envelope.
Valentine #2 is a cute little gift card holder (for a coffee/Starbuck’s card).
1. Glue the “I like you a latte” tag to the center of the Little Bitty Bag.
2. Insert a coffee card and fold the little flap of the bag closed.
3. Using a sewing needle threaded with Divine Twine, sew one running stitch through the flap to hold it closed. Tie the ends of the twine into a bow.
This is a great gift for a friend or teacher. Or, you know, yourself.